Monday, February 27, 2006

LESS THAN PREFECT

Why do people, perfectly rational in other ways, defend the indefensible? Why do they continue along a path that is demonstrably wrong and easily abandoned? I'm not talking about the barbarous torture being carried out in our name, with our money, by our government. I'm talking about the indefensible butchering of the English language by educated, enlightened people.

I'm talking about people who are scientists, who make their living off understanding and precisely defining physical properties of phenomena in order to reshape the world and our relationship to it. People who demand, and thrive off of, minutiae - accurate minutiae.

I heard three words in a meeting the other day that just drove me crazy. These three words were:
  • Libary (for library)
  • Ec Cetera (for et cetera), and
  • Hierachial (for Hierarchical)
Hearing these words butchered gives me the chills, but I learned a long time ago not to question an Engineer's pronunciation of any word, lest one wishes to be the recipient of a surprised, somewhat pained expression followed by a derisive comment on one's propensity for detail. Something like "Well. You knew what I meant. What are you? A Lawyer?".

Well. Maybe. Maybe I knew what you meant and maybe I am a Lawyer. The latter part of the question is of no real consequence, and can be safely ignored as the silly attack it is, but the former isn't necessarily all that clear. I knew what you meant? Could I be certain?

One of the simpler equations in physics is f = ma (force = mass x acceleration). Would an Engineer complain if I expressed it as f = na in a paper or in an analysis of a design or test results? Would it be OK if I said "Well, it's only off by one letter and, after all, you know what I meant" (hee hee)?

I suppose, to be fair, there is the tongue twist factor to take into consideration. After all, library, et cetera, and hierarchical take a bit of concentration and practice to say properly. But here's the real issue. Language is used to - now get this - communicate. Good, accurate, complete communication requires precision. It ain't horse shoes or hand grenades.

So here's what I have to say to those sloppy speakers who complain about merely being asked to correct their butchered pronunciations and complain they're close enough to being "there".

They're ain't no there their. You're turn to figure out where your going.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, cranky...I gotcha on that one, English major that I am.

One of my personals faves is to say EN-velope for en-VEL-ope.

She was EN-veloped, hee hee.

Anonymous said...

you forgot my favorite, 'nucular', a word especially popular with the ruling masses.
lisa gr69

Rick Ladd said...

I'm winding up to vent on politics. I've touched on religion a bit and will undoubtedly continue deeper into that particular viper-infested jungle as well.

One of my hopes for this blog is that I'll get a lot of ideas for subjects to vent on. I appreciate the feedback.

BTW - I heard another word during my stay down here is Houston. It was fustrate, which really fustrated me.