Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Oy is Right!

What can I say? I run into this on a daily basis, peddling my services to small business (and I do mean small) here in my little corner of the world. I emphasize it's free, available, and that I plan to show them how and get out of the way; not do it for them. Unfortunately, most of those who want to engage me also want me to do it for them.



They don't get much for what I cost and they're willing to pay, but I keep on harping and showing them how they can find the time for it and how to minimize just how much time they need. What's astonishing is the knowledge that many small business owners will sit around and chew the fat with their customers, but see social media as a waste of their valuable time. OY, indeed!

Amplify’d from smallbiztrends.com
Social MediaAugust 24, 2011By Lisa Barone

Hiscox, a small business insurance company, recently published a survey of 304 small business leaders to find out more about their social media use. Somewhat shockingly (at least to me), only 12 percent of respondents described social media promotion as a “must” for their businesses, with 47 percent of SMBs admitting that they still don’t use social media at all for business purposes. However, they are still hooked on word of mouth marketing, with 50 percent of SMBs saying they couldn’t live without it.

Hmm, I guess social media, that place where people sign on to talk about your business, doesn’t count as “word of mouth marketing.”

While the education component acknowledges a natural learning curve, it is one that small business owners will need to overcome and tackle if they want to compete in the digital age. With more than 100 million users on LinkedIn, 500+ million users on Facebook and 200+ million users on Twitter, your audience is waiting for you to get involved. Your customers are on social media, which means you need to be, as well. And though the tools are new and can be intimidating until you find your legs, the core of social media isn’t much more than just talking to people. More specifically, social media is about talking to your customers. You need to make time to do that

And that really is the most important component – making time.

Read more at smallbiztrends.com
 

blog comments powered by Disqus