Monday, November 29, 2010

When You Die In ‘Real’ Life, Who Will Keep You Alive On Twitter?

I started thinking about this kind of stuff when a young women I knew through the International Adoption community died of cancer in her early twenties. She had become a friend on Facebook and her presence remained; curated by her former fiancee and, perhaps, some of her closest friends.



It was eerie, yet I didn't want to let go of her either. Since then my uncle has died, as has a friend and business acquaintance. I 'unfriended' the latter, as I didn't know him that well and never met his family, but it made me feel a little creepy - like I was abandoning him. I know it's absolutely crazy, but I can't help the feeling.



At any rate, this blog shares an interesting take on what happens to us in the social media (i.e. cyberspace) world when we shuffle off our mortal coil and return to that great supernova in the sky. At my age, I'm beginning to think far more seriously about this stuff than I have before. How about you?


blog comments powered by Disqus