Friday, July 21, 2006

THANK YOU - I THINK

So what is it with Thank You cards? When did they become de rigeur . . . a fixture of every child's birthday and gift-giving Winter solstice celebration?

My daughter celebrated her 5th birthday recently and we had a party for over twenty children and adults. We provided entertainment for the children, lots of food and drink for everbody, really nice loot bags for the kids, a large cake, and a pinata filled with lots of candy. My wife spent around a week's worth of her spare time researching and purchasing everything necessary to make the kids feel special. This included purchasing inexpensive cowboy/cowgirl hats and bandanas, as the party was held at a nearby farm where the kids could feed animals and enjoy some really fun and clever rides. I spent a good 10 - 15 hours running around and picking up things and making arrangements. We really wanted everyone to have a good time.

Now comes the aftermath. My wife is not the best at sending out Thank You cards, and I have virtually no experience doing it at all. I mean, isn't it against the law for men to do this kind of thing - no matter how sensitive they are? So . . . here it is, a couple of weeks later and the cards she took the time to purchase are still sitting on the table . . . in their original box. They're taunting me. Like chocolate in a candy dish, I sometimes hear them calling out my name.


Isn't a sincere "Thank You" at the party's end enough for everybody? I don't know; maybe she feels better about not doing it than I do, but why do I have this sinking feeling we must carry some sort of guilt because we have yet to send a hand-written, personalized note written by us as though it was our child channeling Emily Post or Martha Stewart?

Here's an example of a Thank You we received the day after a 5-year-old's birthday party:

Thank for coming to my birthday party. I was really happy you could be there. The Spiderman backpack will be really useful next year in Kindergarten to carry my laptop as I'm learning how to post covered calls without the help of my broker.

Now how are we going to follow that?

1 comments:

The Bainbridge Family said...

Oh thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am not alone after all. I LOVE your wife!

your totally thank you card challenged friend,
Anna